Deputy Fire Protection Manager
Job Title: Deputy Fire Protection Manager
Location: Pasadena, CA
- Bachelor of Science degree in fire protection engineering or a related engineering field. Master’s degree in fire protection engineering desirable.
- Professional engineer’s license, having passed the fire protection engineering NCEES exam. Licensure in multiple states highly desirable.
- At least 15 years engineering experience in fire protection and detection system design and management, at least 10 of which must be technical design. Fire engineering experience of 20+ years preferred.
- At least 5 years leading fire protection and life safety system design staff responsible for performance, assignment management, and complete construction documents.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with high proficiency in computer office systems (MS Office, Outlook, personnel management systems).
- Experience in fire sprinkler, suppression, and fire alarm system layout utilizing hydraulic calculation programs such as HASS or AutoSPRINK, is preferred. Advance knowledge of NFPA Standards as well as International Building and Fire Codes.
- Proven team leadership, mentorship, on-time deliverables delivery, and staff retention are a must.
- United States Citizenship is required.
- NICET certifications desirable.
- Proficiency with Revit modeling highly desirable.
- Participation in professional societies such as Society of Fire Protection Engineers is highly desirable.
- The Deputy FPE Manager, will support the Fire Protection Engineering Manager:
- Management and execution of work of the Fire Protection Engineering design team located in several offices across the United States.
- Setting standards and expectations of staff
- Ensuring all deliverables are complete, accurate, and in accordance with good engineering practices, applicable regulations, and per contract.
- Provide the seal and signature of the professional engineer, as appropriate, ensuring compliance with all applicable codes, regulations, and ordinances. Multiple jurisdictions.
- Act as the Lead and Subject Matter Expert in the Pasadena Design Office. Directs and provides design of fire sprinkler systems, including hydraulic analysis, drawings, specifications, and selection of products for systems in various facilities complex buildings.
- Directs and provides design of fire alarm systems to produce bid and construction documents including drawings, specifications, and selection of products. Provides estimates and other proposal support.
- Develops and reviews design analysis, plans, specifications, calculations, studies, code assessments, audits, inspection reports, any other deliverables are of high quality, complete, compliant with standards, regulations, and policies, and meet contractual obligations.
- Develops fire protection strategies, performance-based design approaches, and alternative solutions to resolve client design issues.
- Occasional visits to construction sites (commissioning witness, As Built verification/generation) may require travel with overnight stay. Estimated at 10-35% travel per year.
- Effectively communicate with project team members, clients, and others.
- Interfaces and provides direction to CAD/Design staff to produce ready for permit documents using AutoCAD CAD MEP, Revit, and BIM.
- Performs other responsibilities associated with this position as may be appropriate.